Delaware County, Indiana

Discover Delaware County - an east central Indiana community of opportunity

Contact Us

In this Department

Frequently Asked Questions

Besides 9-1-1, are any other numbers answered at the 9-1-1 Center?

Yes.  The 9-1-1 Center answers not only 9-1-1 calls, but all other 7-digit numbers listed in the phone book as "non-emergency".  For instance, the Police Department listings in the phone book read: "Emergency - 9-1-1" "Non-Emergency - 747-4838."  All of those numbers ring to and are answered by the exact same 9-1-1 call-taker.  The same is true for every other police, fire and EMS agency listed in the telephone book.  All of the NON-EMERGENCY numbers listed are answered here at the 9-1-1 Center.

Then what difference does it make whether I call 9-1-1 or the 7-digit number?

Delaware County Emergency Communications has an "Enhanced" 9-1-1 system.  This means that when you dial our call-takers will have your name, address and phone number displayed when they answer the phone.  This will assist in making your call quicker and easier to process.  This location display is also extremely important in cases where the caller does not know where they are, or cannot speak or give their location due to a medical problem or a variety of other reasons.  Our call-takers do not receive this display when the 7-digit numbers are dialed, or when 9-1-1 is dialed from a wireless (cell) phone that is not GPS enabled.

Should I only dial 9-1-1 in a "life or death" emergency?  What if I need the police for a more routine reason like a simple motor check?

If you just have a question or need information please try to find the proper number in the telephone book.  For instance, to find out if someone has been arrested and may be in jail, please look up the number for the Justice Center (765) 747-7811. The 911 lines and call-takers must be made available for emergency calls of higher priority.

What should I do if I am unhappy with the service I received from dialing  9-1-1?

If a caller is not satisfied with the services provided, they should ask to speak with the shift supervisor.  If they have already disconnected, they can call back the same number they originally dialed and ask for the supervisor.  The caller should explain to the supervisor the circumstances of the call and why they are not satisfied with the service they received.  The shift supervisor is responsible to investigate the complaint, determine if 9-1-1 personnel acted properly or not, and if not to take whatever action they deemed appropriate to address the issue. Complaints can also be reported using the Customer Service Action System available from our home page. With this system, comments and complaints can be submitted and tracked so that you are aware of how the complaint was resolved.