Keep the following in mind when applying for a marriage license:
- Your identifying information must reflect that at least one of you are a resident of Delaware County. If you have been divorced, you need to bring a copy of your divorce decree.
- Both applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
- Both applicants must be present to apply.
- Both applicants must present a valid driver's license, state ID or birth certificate when applying.
- You must apply in the county that you reside in and you can get married anywhere in the state.
- If the applicants are from another state, they apply for the license in the county of the state they wish to marry in. The license is good only in that county.
The marriage license counter closes at 3:30 p.m. each day.
Due to the recent budget cuts, the Clerk's Office can no longer perform marriage ceremonies during office hours. However, there may be some employees that can perform the ceremony outside of the office. Please call our office for further inquiries. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. (Effective May 18, 2011)
- All fees must be paid by cash, money order or credit/debit card. The Delaware County Clerk's Office will not accept personal checks.
- The marriage license fee is $18.00.
- If applicants are from another state, the fee for the license will be $60.00.
- If applicants would like to be mailed three (3) certified copies of the license after the return to the office, they must provide a self-addressed stamped envelope for the return. Additional certified marriage license copies will be $2.00 per copy.
Requirements for Persons Under Age Eighteen (18) to Apply for Marriage License
REGARDING PERSONS AGE FIFTEEN (15) OR SIXTEEN (16):
PARTIES MUST FILE A VERIFIED PETITION:
- MUST FILE AN “MI” CASE TYPE AND HAVE JUDGE SIGN ORDER TO ISSUE MARRIAGE LICENSE (IC 35-11-1-6)
- THERE IS A FILING FEE OF $181.00
- THE FEMALE MUST BE AT LEAST FIFTEEN (15) YEARS OF AGE
- THE FEMALE IS PREGNANT OR IS A MOTHER
- THE MALE IS AT LEAST FIFTEEN (15) YEARS OF AGE AND AGREES THAT HE IS THE FATHER OF THE FEMALE’S CHILD OR EXPECTED CHILD
- BOTH PARENTS (OR LEGAL GUARDIANS) OF BOTH PARTIES GIVE THEIR WRITTEN CONSENT
- IF PARENTS (OR LEGAL GUARDIANS) ARE NOT PRESENT TO SIGN THE CONSENT, THE COURT WILL SET A HEARING DATE AND NOTIFY ALL PARTIES TO BE PRESENT
REGARDING PERSONS AGE SEVENTEEN (17):
- BOTH PARENTS (OR LEGAL GUARDIANS) OF BOTH PARTIES MUST GIVE THEIR WRITTEN CONSENT.
- IF PARENTS (OR LEGAL GUARDIANS) ARE NOT PRESENT TO SIGN THE CONSENT, THEY MUST THEN FILE AN “MI” CASE TYPE AND HAVE A JUDGE SIGN AN ORDER TO ISSUE THE MARRIAGE LICENSE. (IC 35-11-1-5)
- THE FILING FEE IS $181.00
- THE COURT WILL SET A HEARING DATE AND NOTIFY ALL PARTIES TO BE PRESENT.
REGARDING PARENTS (OR LEGAL GUARDIANS) OF PETITIONERS/PARTIES:
IF A PARENT (OR LEGAL GUARDIAN) OF A PETITIONER IS DECEASED, WHEREABOUTS ARE UNKNOWN, NONCUSTODIAL PARENT WHO IS DELINQUENT IN SUPPORT ON THE DAY THE PETITION IS FILED OR IS UNAVAILABLE TO SIGN THE CONSENT FOR ANY REASON; THEN A SIMPLE WRITTEN EXPLANATION BY THE PETITIONER SHALL BE ATTACHED TO THE PETITION. IF THE EXPLANATION IS ACCEPTABLE TO THE COURT THEN THE ORDER TO GRANT A MARRIAGE LICENSE CAN BE ISSUED WITHOUT A HEARING.